Hey Rivalgamer! Have some exciting news for Dev's out there. Well there is a new tutorial i'd like to share with you all. If you haven't checked the tutorial on How to Run Linux on a PS4, feel free to check it out. The main tutorial brought to you today is by fx0day on How to Run Ubuntu on a PS4. Like I said on the Linux tutorial. I'm going to C&P just because it is an important tutorial for the upcoming jailbreak as so to speak. Just trying to inform everyone, and I take no credit for the tutorial. I thank my bud from Wololo for letting me use this from him. Anyways, lets go on with the tutorial!
Hardware you’ll need:
Hardware you’ll need:
- 1 PS4 Fw 1.76
- 1 Usb Hdd or a Usb Key big enough to install Ubuntu
First you need to install Ubuntu on your Usb Hdd
- Download the Ubuntu Iso (auto-download one clicked)
- Copy the iso to Usb with a tool like unetbootin (Win/mac/linux) https://unetbootin.github.io/ (You can burn on a Dvd also)
- Boot (from your PC) on this Usb or Dvd
- I’ve used the ubuntu-14.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso (link above) and made the install on my Usb Hdd (with a PC of course) , nothing more to say here just configure your keyboard layout , password …)
So now you should have Ubuntu installed on your Usb Hdd …
- Now go to the PS4-Playground and load Linux (you must have of course a usb key with bZimage & initramfs.cpio.gz in the PS4, see here for details to load Linux on your PS4)
- Plug the Usb Hdd where you have your ubuntu install (At this point you can remove the Usb key with bZimage & initramfs.cpio.gz everything is in RAM)
- Type fdisk -l to see the name of your Usb Hdd ( /dev/sdXX)
As you can see my ubuntu partition is in /dev/sdc1
- Now just type (if your bootable partition is sdc1)
exec switch_root /newroot/ /newroot/sbin/init
Sometimes exec switch_root don’t start at the first time , just type the command again ..
Wait a few seconds and you should see Ubuntu running.
Here’s a video below from fx0day showcasing the whole process:
Keep in mind that there’s no network working yet!
It is NOT my fault if any of you mess up your PS4 by running Linux on it! Use it at your own risk NextGenUsers! Hope this helps you all!
Subscribe on My Channel